21 Jan 12 Household Items You Can Clean with Vinegar
By Taylor Grantham
White vinegar is the perfect natural and chemical-free way to clean your home. If you really hate the smell, soak peels of oranges, lemons or grapefruit in it to add a pleasant citrus scent. Below are 11 little-known ways to use vinegar as a cleaning agent!
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher or place in a bowl on the top rack.
- Run dishwasher without dishes or detergent.
- Wipe down the inside of the dishwasher after the cycle is finished.
- Mix 1 cup vinegar with ¼ cup powdered laundry detergent to create a thick paste-like substance.
- Heat oven for 5 min at 180 degrees then turn off. Allow to cool enough so you can apply paste.
- Spread mixture around oven (apply more generously to greasy areas).
- Let sit for an hour then scrape off.
- Prevent future grease build up by wiping down all sides of oven with pure white vinegar.
- Fill microwave safe bowl with ¼ cup vinegar and 1 cup water.
- Heat for 5 minutes in your microwave on its highest setting.
- Let it cool and then use the mixture and a paper towel to wipe away stains.
- Mix ½ cup water and ½ cup vinegar.
- Wipe down drawers, shelves, and walls of your fridge with the mixture for a sparkling clean appliance.
5. Stainless steel
- Soak a sponge or cloth in vinegar.
- Wipe down the stainless steel surface.
- Buff with a dry cloth.
6. Deodorize drains
- Pour in ½ cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar.
- When foaming decreases, flush with hot water
- Wait 5 minutes and then flush with cold water
7. Unblock drains
- Pour in ½ cup of salt and 2 cups of boiling vinegar.
- Flush with hot water.
- Wait 5 minutes and then flush with cold water.
8. Bathtub/shower (tile & glass)
- Spray all surfaces with vinegar poured into a spray bottle.
- Wipe down with a sponge.
- Pour 2 cups of vinegar into toilet bowl.
- Let soak overnight before flushing.
10. Shower head
- Put ½ cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar in a plastic Ziplock bag.
- Rubberband the bag closed around the shower head and let sit for at least an hour.
- Remove the bag.
- Wipe down showerhead with a clean, damp cloth and run shower for 2 minutes.
- Repeat as necessary to remove calcium build-up.
11. Washing machine
- Fill up machine with water and pour in 2 cups of vinegar.
- Let sit for 1 hour.
- Start machine and let it run a complete cycle.
- Fill up the machine a second time and pour 1-2 cups of bleach into the bin.
- Let it sit for another full hour.
- Restart the washing machine and let it run through a complete cycle.
12. Tile floors
- Combine 1/3 cup vinegar and 1 gallon of warm water.
- Sponge mop the entire floor with this mixture for spotless tiles.
For more ways to use vinegar check out: www.vinegartips.com